I recently read the following:
“America is the queen of trash. Every day in the U.S., we produce enough trash to equal the weight of the Empire State Building. We throw away 2.5 million plastic bottles every hour, produce enough styrofoam cups annually to circle the earth 436 times and trash enough office paper to build a 12-foot wall from Los Angeles to New York City.”
This is just one of the many startling facts that is prompting churches, nonprofits and associations to actively “go green”. Online collaboration software can help your organization reverse these statistics. Here are 5 things your organization can do with online technology to start your “greening” process:
- Online File Sharing – reduce the amount of paper used for newsletters, copies, handbooks and other important documents. Also, quickly get new members up and running with all necessary documents stored in files.
- Online Discussions – reduce the amount of gas and travel time (and styrofoam coffee cups) it takes to attend meetings and collaborate on topics and instead use efficient online discussions with mailing list software for example.
- Simple Sign-ups – reduce the amount of paper (time and confusion) when using online tools for simple sign-ups. MemberHub has a Whiteboards feature that can help for upcoming holiday parties, volunteer sign ups, upcoming events, etc.
- Quick Announcements – send out announcements via text message and/or email to members to reduce the amount of paper made for flyers, newsletters, postage, etc. Also, send messages for last minute reminders, room changes, cancellations to reduce unnecessary drive time and/or gas!
- Photo Album Sharing – reduce the number of photos by sharing pictures online. Print only the ones you want to keep in an album.
So what is your organization doing to go GREEN?